Friday, October 16, 2009

Long list of adventures

Life in California

There's just something about sunny California that makes me feel like I'm on vacation 24/7. I have no desire whatsoever to do anything school-related or work-related, I just want to lay out on the beach all day long and watch dolphins play around and perform flips in the air (we actually did see them at Venice Beach pier, they were so cute). And can I just say, I'm so glad there's actual ethnic food here. Korean, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, even Singaporean... I'm in food paradise.

Work has been rather slow lately, I shred piles and piles of paper (which is actually fun, but not very productive), pull actors' headshots and resumes for breakdowns, do basic office stuff like filing and mailing and faxing and calling clients, and I wrote coverage for a script once. Let's just say it was the worst script in the world. It was basically another wannabe slasher horror flick that had a poor innocent writer being raped and abused, and then she became completely psycho and started capturing and torturing men for amusement. It was absolutely traumatizing, and it's actually being made into a short film now. It's scripts like these that make me think, if these awful plots and characters are being filmed in a movie, I think I can do better. Or at least try.
But overall it really isn't that bad, I actually enjoy doing things. It's when I have nothing to do that I feel really unproductive and useless just sitting there, so I brought homework with me to the office, and that's been working out great :)

I also got to do the 'rejection calls' where I call actors/actresses who sent in their resumes and headshots for the company to represent them, but they got rejected for some reason, and so I'm the bearer of bad news. It's actually rather uncommon in Hollywood to call up actors and let them know they're being rejected, because most of the time no one really bothers about C-list actors, so what my company does is really rare. And the actors do appreciate the little gesture too, they're so nice and friendly and even thank me for telling them the bad news. One guy even wrote me a CARD to say thanks and to keep in touch! I guess he didn't know I was a lowly intern, but still! It was cute :)

Film shoots


I've had the awesome opportunity of helping out with fellow LAFSC friends' film projects, and it's my very first time watching the filming process unfold, and i love it! it's exciting and new and fun, even if i'm just holding the boom mic and trying not to get it in the shot.

I also love casting calls. There's just something about being the one sitting behind the table, holding the power to decide actors' fates. It's so fun to watch them audition, see all their resumes and headshots, and then decide who suits which role the best. I wouldn't mind doing this for a living. Plus you get to see all kinds of good-looking actors, and believe me, there are tons in LA. I work for a talent agency, and I get to see headshots of beautiful people every single day. It's fun and yet a little overwhelming because i'm wondering why they got all the good genes and didn't leave much for me. haha.
Also wouldn't mind being a makeup artist! I did makeup for a friend's project, smudging eyeshadow all over the actors' faces and smearing gel in their hair to make them look like they've been living in a bomb shelter for a while. It was totally fun and made me think of going to beauty school... for a second :)

Talks

Tony Hale, the actor most known from Arrested Development, came to talk to us about his experiences in Hollywood. He was such an interesting and hilarious guy, and gave us lots of useful advice. Knowing that he's a Christian, and that he stands firm in his beliefs in this crazy industry, was strangely comforting. I liked how he kept saying that in this industry, tons of rejection is normal, but just remember that in the end, everything will be okay. Have to keep telling myself that :)

We also had a lecture from a Jewish lady, who talked about the misconceptions Christians have of Jews and vice versa, and gave us a whole history of the Jews, and announced that about 70% of Hollywood is Jewish, because most of the major studios were founded by Jews. That's pretty cool, although... it makes me wonder - what about Chinese people? what have we ever contributed to the world besides communism and bad chinese restaurants (which are in abundance in LA)?

There were other talks, but they were too boring to mention. and i just don't remember anything they said.

Movies/shows

I love LA and all its free advanced movie screenings they have every week! At least two per week. I'm never going to have to pay for a movie as long as I'm here.

We went to see Law Abiding Citizen (my roommate worked the premiere, because her company produced the film, and she bumped into Gerard Butler at the after-party, and ran away speechless!), and it had an interesting message about the justice system and how justice isn't always served, but the gruesome killings and violence in the movie made it kind of unbearable to watch after a while. I'm just not one for horror movies. Ever. I wouldn't see any of the ridiculous Saw movies, even if you paid me to.

Went to see New York, I love you, and if you've seen the Paris version, this one's going to be a disappointment. It's just really messy and all the stories intertwine, so they jump from story to story, and there's no real ending. Everything's just left hanging, and that really annoys me, because I want to know what happens to these characters. I don't want to imagine it myself!

Also went to see Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D at the Disney El Capitan theatre! It was the coolest theatre ever, with a stage and box seats and a huge organ playing disney songs while we waited for the movies to start. And then Buzz, Woody and Jess came out and did a little dance! My love for Disney will never die :)

On our day off we got free tickets to go see the Jay Leno Show, and Dana Carvey (the comedian) was the guest star. He was pretty hilarious, but we were really looking forward to seeing Justin Timberlake, who ended up being a 'guest' via satellite -- Jay did the 10@10 segment with him. SIGH. While waiting in line to go into the studio, we were given these cards to fill out, and they asked if we had any special talent no one else had. Mine wrote: 'I have the ability to be where celebrities are, but I never get to see them.' Something along those lines. So sad but true.
Oh well, it was still fun, I got to high-five Jay, and they sat us on the second row, right in front of the stage! It was craziness and the crowd was so energetic and excited.

More Flags, More Fun!

Went to SIX FLAGS this past weekend! I love rollercoasters and all kinds of maximum adrenaline rides! We actually got a discount coupon, so we got into the park for $10 +$30 (for the FlashPass), and it was still cheaper than the normal price :) We got to bypass ALL the crazy hour-long lines and head straight to the front of almost every rollercoaster ride. We went on six rides before lunch, one after another, which made me kind of dizzy. But it was still awesome.

Top three rides:
3. Tatsu -- This ride flips you around so that you're facing the ground and on your stomach, and the only thing that's preventing you from falling to the ground and splattering into a hundred pieces is the little harness. I felt like I was flying, but it was pretty terrifying.
2. Superman -- We were launched out of the tunnel at top speed, and up this vertical tower until we were almost face-to-face with Superman himself, and then we fell back down to earth. So fun!
1. X2 -- This by far is the BEST RIDE and the scariest I've ever been on in my entire life. And I've been on quite a few. But this one was mind-blowing! We were plunged down backwards vertically, head first, lying on our backs, and then spun around 5 times throughout the entire ride, while they threw fire at us. Loved it.

And then at night the park transformed into a creepy place where creatures prowled the grounds, all in the name of Halloween. The Six Flags guy even did the Thriller dance with zombies and vampires. It was intense.

So... this entry is way too long. more updates later, i guess. and i have to say, i missed Taylor a little when i saw airband videos on youtube. i had my last airband last fall and i didn't even know it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment